The Kiwirrkurra Project consist of a single exploration licence covering ~126km2 of the highly prospective Central Australian Suture (CAS) in the West Arunta Province. The CAS represents a preserved subduction zone and has seen an increase in exploration activities with the recent discovery of the Grapple base metal target by the Lake Mackay JV (with Independence Group (ASX: IGO) and Prodigy Gold (ASX:PRX)). The Kiwirrkurra Project is prospective for iron oxide copper-gold (IOCG) style mineralisation as well as orogenic gold mineralisation.
Kiwirrkurra has been the subject of historic exploration by Ashburton Minerals Ltd (ASX:LPD) in the early to mid-2000’s which delineated multiple gold and copper targets. Drilling at the Pokali Prospect has identified wide zones of low-grade copper mineralisation which has IOCG characteristics.
Ashburton’s drilling returned best results of:
- PKC024 – 62m @ 0.39% Cu from 152m (incl. 14m @ 1.0% Cu from 168m)
- PKC027 – 42m @ 0.33% Cu from 196m (incl. 4m @ 1.36% Cu from 222m)
- PKC023 – 32m @ 0.46% Cu from 74m (incl. 6m @ 1.36% Cu from 100m)
- PKC007 – 46m @ 0.37% Cu from 24m
- PKC021 – 44m @ 0.30% Cu from 66m
- PKC008 – 18m @ 0.52% Cu from 76m
- PKC022 – 16m @ 0.45% Cu from 188m
Ashburton also conducted regional, wide spaced aircore drilling which has identified multiple gold anomalies which require follow up.